Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Sochi 2014... Or Basic 8 (whichever comes first)

Six weeks ago marked my foray into the world of figure skating.  The product of a quarter life crisis, I decided to debunk the “can’t teach an old dog new tricks” cliché.  At 21, I am by no means 'old,' but lining up for class amongst students half my height certainly took the ego down a notch.  Walking into the rink, I see the quizzical expression from parents wondering why on earth I am skating next to their children, most of whom are half my age.      

I certainly have not mastered much of anything, other than falling, and even that lacks the grace of a skater.  I prefer the kamikaze approach, either thrusting my body into the boards or hoping that the extra 80 pounds I have on the young tikes will cushion the fall a bit.  After the first session of lessons, I have a very basic knowledge of 3-turns, Mohawks, waltz jumps and a horrendous two foot spin.

While I am keenly aware that I will never skate like Sasha Cohen, nor will the US Olympic Committee be sending my tickets to Sochi anytime soon, I am determined to learn something new and get out of my comfort zone.  Last week after class, a mother approached me and remarked, “you look like you are having so much fun,” and that was the truth- I haven’t had this much fun in a long time! Hearing that beats any 6.0 from a judge. 

Time on ice: 6 weeks
Beginning skill level: Bambi on ice
Ending skill level: Basic 8/ Freestyle 1

2 comments:

  1. I love to be a part of skating related blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep at it!!!! I started at 49 and am now 50. I skate every single time the doors are open and I wear skating dresses. I compete next week in Adult Level 2. I have classmates in LTS that are in late 60's and mid 70's and two more in ice dance in 60's. You will skyrocket after you start toward level 3. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete